Women of Color in the Episcopal Church
June 12-15, 2017
Maritime Conference Center, Baltimore, MD
Call for Papers Coming Soon
“Growing up in this country during the time of Jim Crow and segregation, the Episcopal Church was a place where I knew I was a beloved child of God.” So said one African American woman from an experience reflected in many people of color, especially women discriminated against because of gender, even in the church.
- Come to the 2017 EWHP Conference to hear stories of women of color, whether Native American, Latina, or Asian.
- Come to the 2017 EWHP Conference to share ways the Church can be an even more effective instrument of justice, peace and opportunity for all the beloved people of God.
HEAR VITAL VOICES
|On Monday evening, our Opening Eucharist Homilist will be the new Bishop of Indianapolis, the Rt. Rev. Jennifer Baskerville-Burroughs, the first African-American woman Diocesan in the Episcopal Church.|
|The Tuesday Keynote Speaker is the Rev. Dr. Kelly Brown Douglas, Canon Theologian at the Washington National Cathedral and the Susan D. Morgan Distinguished Professor of Religion at Goucher College in Baltimore|
- Presentations offer additional voices with opportunities for you to add your voice.
- “Servant Sharing” Thursday morning allows you to share a 3-5 minute vignette of an Episcopal Woman of Color who touched your life.
The Conference opens with a Eucharist on Monday evening. The Celebrant will be the Very Rev. Miguelina Howell, Dean of Christ Church Cathedral, Hartford. There will be a variety of additional worship opportunities are offered throughout the conference.
Events will be held at the Maritime Institute outside of Baltimore, Maryland, the site of the 2021 General Convention.
- Monday, June 12 – Dinner, Opening Eucharist.
- Tuesday, June 13 – Breakfast, Keynote Speaker, Lunch, Presentations, Dinner. No planned evening activity.
- Wednesday, June 14 – Breakfast, Special Speaker, EWHP Annual Meeting, Lunch, Presentations. Banquet.
- Thursday, June 15 – Breakfast, “Servant Sharing” session with conference wrap-up.
CONFERENCE FACILITY & HOUSING
The Maritime Conference Center provides a complimentary 24-hour shuttle to and from BWI Airport, BWI Amtrak and North Linthicum Light Rail.
- Driving The Maritime Conference Center is at 692 Maritime Blvd, Linthicum Heights, MD 21090 and easy to get to. Free parking is available on-site.
- Train Arrive at BWI Amtrak and take the complimentary shuttle provided by the Maritime.
- Flying Fly into BWI Airport and take the complimentary shuttle provided by the Maritime.